Case Management

What does case management mean?

When you live in one of our properties we identify with you what tasks need to be done in order to:

  • obtain an income – this may be through Centrelink
  • other services that may be supporting you. These include mental health services, youth justice, ATODS, Child Safety  or NDIS support services.  
  • are you interested in gaining further educational qualifications, short courses to assist you, school support or assistance to find work. 
  • support with finding family who you could return to live with.
  • assisting with difficult relationships which prevent you returning to stable accommodation. 
  • looking for alternative accommodation . This may be through Department of Housing, Community housing providers and looking at private rental options. 

We will assist you to become registered with Queensland Department of Housing.

This will help you with affordable options for longer term stable accommodation.

You can do this by visiting their offices at 2/143 Walker Street, Townsville you will require:
Ø 100 points of ID, birth certificate
Ø A Centrelink statement or statement of income, for example, wage slips
Ø A copy of your bank statement